Thursday, June 14, 2007

Maybe I should just weigh once a week. It’s disheartening to step on the scales and not see any change. That’s been the case for 3 days. And the kicker is that I walked 31 minutes yesterday afternoon and 16 minutes this morning at 4:15. And, no, I didn’t overindulge in food yesterday. Oh well, maybe there will be an improvement tomorrow.

A local political candidate told me something yesterday that irritates me. I’ve always thought my voting rights were being abused when I had to choose which party I would vote for in the primaries. Sure, I lean more in the Republican direction, but occasionally I’d like to vote for a particular Democrat. This guy told me yesterday that even the current law is about to become much stricter. After next year I will have to register as a Republican or Democrat and I will not be allowed to cross-over and vote the other way even in the general election. Can someone tell me? Is that information correct? How can that be right? When I pointed out that I know of other states where you can vote for either party, even in the primaries (as long as you only vote for one person), he told me that we are covered by the Voting Rights Act and some other states are not.

Now, I understand the reasoning behind that law. Blacks, in the 50s & 60s were treated terribly at the polling booths, but thankfully, things have changed. My voting rights are already restricted too much, and now my rights will be restricted even more. How can this be right?

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

I had not heard that about the voting law changing. If you find out for sure that that's the case, please let me know. I rarely cross over to the other side but have more than once pulled the lever on the red side, even campaigned for a Republican friend from church one year.

Do you have a profile on the CC site? Mine is under ceejaygee, if you want to visit me there. Let me know if it gives you access to everything, or if some parts are restricted.