Friday, March 2, 2007

Bulls, Bears & Other Beasts

March - in like a lion, out like a lamb. About 10 minutes after midnight on March 1st we thought that lion was going to roar through our bedroom window. Wind, rain, thunder, lightning, hail - all the elements of a strong storm system. All day we were under a tornado watch with the occasional severe thunderstorm warning and tornado warning thrown in. We were more fortunate than the folks in AL. My heart & prayers go out to them. I've always felt it was a mistake to send kids home during severe weather, and I still do. There's no easy answer to the question of what to do. I pray that people will not blame school administrators for the deaths at Enterprise AL.

Is there scientific proof that the barometric pressure affects our behavior? Teachers I know have always said kids act out when the BP is falling. If you're around kids during stormy weather you can feel the tension. No, Cathy, it's not just Jay-Jay. And it's not just kids. Yesterday at work a couple of people got into a heated discussion. That's fairly unusual, but seems to happen more often during bad weather. Me? I go to sleep. When the pressure starts dropping, I start drooping. It's true. During stormy weather I can hardly keep my eyes open. It's a good thing Terry is just the opposite. He's wide awake during bad weather, keeping a watch on all who are his to protect.

My boss also roared into town yesterday. *grin* We've known each other a long time, but he's been my direct report just a little over 6 months. We get along well and he leaves me alone (mostly) to do my job. His visits are especially nice because he brings his wife, Judy. We get to go to lunch and we let Jeff go to pay for the food and wait on us. McAllister's is our choice.

The stock market has taken a hard hit this week. Those of us who have investments there have had to sit back and watch the bulls and bears duke it out. I'm hoping this is just a blip and that the market will take an upswing going forward. For those of us who are trying to plan for retirement w/ IRA's it hurts to see the numbers go down instead of up. Terry & I have been blessed to be able to put some money away so we won't have to depend solely on SocSec. It would be heartbreaking to see it eaten away by the whims of the market. Yes, we could put it in savings accounts or CDs, but have you seen the piddlin' percentages those pay? Oh well, we'll work hard while we have our health, put money away for the later years and pray that the money outlasts us. No, we're not thinking we can take it with us. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little to leave to the chicks & chicklettes.

The lion has roared. Maybe the lamb will show up soon. (What if the Lamb showed up soon! Even so, Lord Jesus, come! Revelation 22:20)

No comments: