Thursday, March 8, 2007

I started writing something else, but it was all choppy and disjointed – kind of like I feel right now. It’s how I’ve felt since finding out “Jack” has gone home to her Father. We can rejoice that her pain has ended and she’s no longer a pilgrim. But it’s the end of something, too. My feelings were like this when DaddyG went Home. It was such a relief that he was finally rid of the body that had so plagued him those last two years. But then I felt guilty that I was relieved. We beat ourselves up for no good reason. God’s plan is that for everything there is a season. How do people who don’t believe in God make it through such times?

It’s exciting to think about seeing Cathy again after such a long time. We’ve seen each other twice since that breakfast at Shockley’s just before she moved to Brandon. And there will surely be lots more old friends this weekend. Will we call Jack’s home-going a reunion? Would she mind?

All the plans are in motion and I’m wondering if anyone else has seen God’s Hand in all this? Several months ago Cathy and I reconnected through the Internet and now my girls are singing at her mom’s funeral. (They feel honored that she asked.) And she asked me to stay close this weekend. I’m humbled that our friendship has stood the test of years and miles. And it’s not just my family. Several days ago Cathy and Mary reconnected and now Cathy & Mike are staying at her house while here. My spirit tells me God has been planning this course from forever. He’s such an inscrutable God and yet He draws so near to His children, plotting courses for our lives and working all things out for our good.

The girls are singing some cherished hymns with just the piano for accompaniment. And there won’t be any organ music. Much like the Missing Man Formation in the Air Force, this will highlight the absence of one of the stellar organists of our day. Happy Home-going, Jack.

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

It's not the first time the Good Lord has prepared a soft landing place for me. What a wonderful reminder of His love.