Monday, March 12, 2007

When people ask me about going to Mrs. Cathryn “Jack” Johnson’s funeral, it seems a little strange to say, “We had a wonderful time.” But it’s true. We celebrated her life and Bro. Ricky Bishop painted a vivid, sweet picture of what awaited her in Glory. She was a lady of many talents – spelling bee champ, typing champ, human dictionary, musician extraordinaire. What a legacy!

The girls did this mama proud with their singing and flute playing. They felt so honored to be asked to participate in the celebration of Ms. Jack’s life. And we got to see so many people who have played such an important part in our lives. Even some Belden-ites were there Saturday afternoon. I was surprised to find out that Phil King of Belden (formerly of the Landmarks Quartet) spent some of his younger years in Plantersville and attended PBC when Bro. Silas was there.

The meal afterward was delicious. We’ve eaten many wonderful meals in Plantersville and this was no different. Plus we got to visit w/ many old friends and met a few new ones. Ricky & Benji have grown into fine-looking young men and it was a treat to sit across the table from them. I wish I could have met Karen & Pip. Ricky’s wife, Mary Ann, went to school w/ my neice, so there’s another connection. It was almost like old times when Ricky & Laurie started throwing Scrabble pieces across tables. Despite the age difference Cathy’s kids & mine spent a lot of time together.

Cathy, you really do need to come “home” occasionally. Those few minutes we spent talking & laughing at the end of the meal warmed my heart. Next time we’ll try to remember the cameras.

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

Thanks for the kind comments. I liked the parallel you drew between the silent organ and the Missing Man Formation, which is exactly the idea I wanted to convey, but just couldn't recall where I got it.

Your girls are such a joy, you have every reason to feel very proud. I love all of you dearly.