Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Yesterday I went to the social security website & calculated how much I’d draw when I retire. First, it’s not much. Why do so many Americans fail to prepare for retirement? I might have been one of those, but Terry has a gung-ho attitude about saving for retirement and it’s rubbed off on me. And the girls. When they started earning money the requirements were 1) 10% of the gross to tithe and 2) 20% of the gross into savings. Anything left over was theirs to do with as they thought best. It was a lesson well-learned for me and for them.

Second, why am I even thinking about retirement? It will be another 12 years!! before I can retire. Unless you can afford private insurance or unless your company retirement provides health benefits, you have to work for the insurance.

And in my case, since I can’t drive, I’d be stuck at home most of the time. With no lights or running water b/c then who’d pay the bills?

You know what?!? I’m healthy and capable of working. I have a very good job. Thanks be to God for providing this for me. I’ll stop complaining now.

So, CJG, you think you have me pegged? OK, so you do have me pegged. Didn’t I tell you? Before reading your posts I drink a cup of strong coffee, take a deep breath and don’t breathe again until the end of the post. You don’t scare me, girlfriend.

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

But which part pegged you? (Other than Micah 6:8)