Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Be good…AND DON’T FUSS AND FIGHT (Lessons from Joseph)

Heard that before? Said that before? I have. Three girls headed out the door, all laughing, exuberant excitement at a fun outing. But being the all-wise mom that I am, I knew that shared camaraderie would only last until the first traffic light on Main Street. By then they’d be fussing about whether to eat Mexican or Italian and fighting about which radio station to listen to. I’d been through it before when they were younger: sibling dust-ups are nothing new. Come to think of it, I’ve heard those words addressed to me before as my brother and I left the house.

But, as I discovered this week, the admonition is older than I am, or my parents. It dates back over 5,000 years. Take a look at the book of Genesis. Genesis!? Genesis in the Bible!? Yes, that’s the one. Let’s pay particular attention to the story of Joseph. You don’t remember anyone saying, “Be good…AND DON’T FUSS AND FIGHT?” Look closer. Joseph’s brothers took sibling rivalry to the max when they let Joseph be sold down the river. But it didn’t turn out exactly as they’d planned. Joseph hits the jackpot. By the will of God and his obedience to God’s instructions, Joseph winds up in the lap of luxury.

And in keeping with dreams interpreted long years ago, Joseph has the chance to pay his brothers back. There’s a famine in all the land, but Egypt, under Joseph’s hand, has prepared for this. Everyone is knocking on their door for a loaf of bread, including Joseph’s brothers. After giving them a hard time (They deserved it, don’t you think?) Joseph makes himself known to them and the reunion is a sweet one. The only thing missing is Jacob, so Joseph prepares to send his brothers back to get Jacob. Now, take a look at Genesis 45:24. (You thought I’d forgotten where I was going with this, didn’t you?) They’re headed out the door for the long journey to get Jacob and Joseph says, “Be good…AND DON’T FUSS AND FIGHT.” Well, actually, the New American Standard Bible says, “So he sent his brothers away, and as they departed, he said to them, ‘Do not quarrel on the journey.’”

We’re on a journey that will end in a long-awaited reunion. God has made Himself known to us and has sent us out on the road. Part of our trip includes getting others and bringing them to Him. There are logs blocking the road, and wild animals waiting in the brush to ambush us. The journey’s end is worth all we face, but wouldn’t the journey be a lot easier if we helped each other along the way? I’ll help you move the logs and you help me watch out for wild animals. God has sent us out on this pilgrimage. Can’t you hear him saying, “Be good…AND DON’T FUSS AND FIGHT.”

lp 01.15.01
Marlee K pics. Click on "Photos" and choose the "Marlee K" album.

No comments: