Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I like Joseph; he’s extremely fascinating. His life’s story, so concisely told in Genesis 30 – 50, is one of human error (sin) and divine intervention. When I start reading his story I can’t stop until I reach the end. And when I get to the end, I cry. Why does it make me sad when he dies? Everyone in the Bible died, and stayed dead, except Jesus. There are lots of folks in the Bible that I really like, but Joseph feels like a personal friend.

Joseph’s story has all the human elements imaginable: jealousy, envy, greed, sex, power, lying (not an exhaustive list). The read will keep you on the edge of your seat if you’re reading it for the first time or for the thirtieth time. His is certainly a success story, but that’s not what appeals to me. Maybe it’s that so many events in his life were beyond his control coupled with the obvious workings of God through these events that gives me hope.

He didn’t have humble beginnings; Jacob was rich and powerful. And in his younger years he seemed an obnoxious little pipsqueak – bragging about his dreams and wearing that favorite son symbol in front of his brothers. But life taught him some tough lessons and he matured through his difficulties. A tiny glimpse of the old Joseph shows through when he hides his identity from his brothers, but he can’t sustain the charade and all is forgiven on both sides.

My life is a lot like Joseph’s. Oh, I’ll never be the #2 person in Egypt, powerful beyond thought or measure. But…a) Many events in my life are beyond my control; and, b) God is working through all these events to mold me into the person He wants me to be (if I cooperate). Bro. Jim’s email message today is about “sticking our neck out” for God. That’s what Peter did, and so did Joseph. God did some extraordinary things through both of them. What extraordinary thing might God have planned for me?

No comments: