Monday, August 27, 2007

Yesterday was a really good “church” day. At BBC we’ve gone back to the tradition of Sunday school promotion. We all met in the sanctuary and classes were dismissed by age. Quaint, you might think, but it was very effective; just what we needed to stir the spirit of Sunday school. Of all the programs of the church, Sunday school is surely the most critical to the life of a church. This particular program provides for small groups of people who get to know each other (fellowship), study together (discipleship) and meet each others’ needs (service). Most people who are saved have been involved in Sunday school where Christians have witnessed by testifying to what Jesus has done for them. How great is that!?!?

Sometimes the Holy Spirit so fills the sanctuary during worship service that mere words can’t describe the moment. I can tell you what happened in sequence yesterday – we prayed, we welcomed, we sang Days of Elijah and Glorify Thy Name – but if you weren’t there you can’t know the true sense of worship that permeated the room. Every song, every prayer, all the preacher’s points brought us closer to our Father.

And there’s the matter of naps. Huh? Here I was talking about high and holy things, then I switched to naps. Well, that is an important part of my Sabbath experience. After working hard all week, I need to recuperate and rejuvenate. A nap usually does it for me.

Last night I visited Parkway Baptist to hear their choir present a summer musical – Sanctuary. There was a very good balance of praise songs, old Southern gospel and traditional songs. There’s a thread you’ve probably picked up on: music leads my spirit to worship.

And I got to see some of the kids and all the kidlettes this weekend. See pictures here.

No comments: