Thursday, April 26, 2007

My world seems very small sometimes. If it happens outside my sphere of influence (incoming & outgoing), it doesn’t hold my attention very long. Does that seem shallow? Maybe. But there’s so much I can’t control that I have to pay attention to what I can (semi-) control.

Most of the time I feel that work demands entirely too much of my self – emotional and physical. This week I’ve been dealing with maintenance techs from Texas – very nice guys. Unusual circumstances sap my energy. I’ve also had government audits and safety audits/training. In the midst of all this unusual activity I forgot something very important – Secretary’s Day.

Glenda doesn’t wear the formal title of “Secretary”; she’s the Office Administrator/Safety Coordinator. But she is the one who makes my life a whole lot easier. She’s important to the company, to the Tupelo plant and to me. It made me sad that I forgot a day dedicated to those who help maintain order in our chaotic worlds. She’s very good at what she does and I’d be lost without her. I learned long ago that surrounding myself with intelligent, capable people poses no threat to my job; it makes me look a whole lot better. So I’m glad to have Glenda in my world. She’s not only an employee and co-worker; she’s a dear friend.

No comments: