Saturday, April 14, 2007

Growing Pains

In a matter of days our circumstances changed. When you have a presence within 7 miles of something that huge, it impacts your life. New home developments are sprining up; prices on existing houses and house sites have almost tripled. Area schools are already gearing up for rapid growth. So we could expect no less than that Toyota would have an impact on Belden Baptist Church.

We recently spent 5 Sundays under Bro. Jim's leadership learning about what will happen to BBC. Many of us took his teachings to heart. We're excited, enthused, inspired, convicted and ready to G.R.O.W. in God's Kingdom.

G.R.O.W. stands for God Rewards Our Work. The program involves giving one evening a month to visit, write letters, make phone calls, pray or keep babies so others can visit. And God will reward that effort. You see, there's a field white unto harvest already. As our leaders have told us repeatedly, "There are many unsaved, unchurched people in the shadow of our steeple." Now the fields will be even more populated. By 2011, within a 15 mile radius of WellSpring, there will be one church for every 1,514 people. WOW.

G.R.O.W. is just one of the things we're doing. At BBC we're preparing our Sunday school classes for growth. According to Bro. Jim, Sunday school is the single most crucial program for church growth. If a preacher tells you that if you can come to only one thing at church, make it Sunday school, you know it has to be important. Growth may mean making some sacrifices. What if we have to give up a room we like? What if we have to go into a different class because our class has gotten so large? What is a personal sacrifice compared with the souls of people who need the Lord?

And at long last, we're developing an AWANA program for children. Churches that have an AWANA program experience increased professions of faith, first with the kids, then reaching out to their parents. This also is not without it's challenges. Are there enough high-energy leaders? Will we change the way we use existing space? Is a building more important than the eternal salvation of a child? Even one child? Surely not.

Most people don't like change, but think of all the exciting adventures God has planned for us that we will miss if we hold on to our chosen ideas with both fists! Some changes will probably make me sad, but I'd be even sadder if I didn't let God pry loose my fingers from my stuff and I missed His stuff.

And what about love? Love for God's Kingdom work? Love for each other? We have the privilege and the awesome responsibility of putting others' needs ahead of our own. Am I doing that? Am I showing the agape love for my Christian family that is a positive witness for Jesus Christ? Families squabble - fact of human life. But if we can always remember before we speak that everything Jesus did, He did for His Father and for His children and act accordingling, the squabbles will quietly resolve themselves. Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing. 1Th 5:11

Some great things are going on and being planned at BBC. And there are a bunch of wonderful people involved, people with different ideas, but people, nontheless, who want to see what God is doing and go to work with Him there. What a joy to be a part of all this!

Heavenly Father, You alone are worthy of my worship and praise. As You increase Your Kingdom in our midst, please tender my heart to know and do Your will. Give me sensitivty to the needs and cares of others. Pull out any weed of pride and selfishness in my heart and fill me with Your love. Show me what You want me to do and help me see the resources You have already given me to do it. Father, when my mind drifts to vain imaginings that would falsely increase my stature and decrease others, stop me by Your Spirit. Don't let me stray into that dark area of me, my & mine. Father, live through me, love through me, shine out of me and make me fit for Your Kingdom purpose. Because of the precious blod of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: