Saturday, November 10, 2007

Weeks of stress and pressure at work finally took a toll and I played hooky yesterday. Those of you who know me know that's way out of character. I don't call in sick unless I'm so physically ill that it would be harmful to others if I showed up. But yesterday was different. In fact, while talking to one of my direct reports (I have two) on Thursday she told me to take a sick day. And I hadn't even told her anything was wrong; she's a very astute person.

It's not that I'm irreplaceable; my parents raised me to know that there are plenty of folks out there who can do the job. My responsibility is to do the very best I can and stay strong. That means going to work every day even if a hangnail is bothering me. It means giving all I have to my job and the people I work with. None of us are owed a job or a paycheck unless we earn it and don't you forget it (I can hear my daddy say).

I'm taking full advantage of this mini retreat. Yesterday I spent some quality time reading the scriptures and praying; there was a little tv watching; a short nap; and Domino's delivered a pizza. {To digress: Laurie says it's a very pitiful thing when the pizza delivery place answers the phone saying, "Hi, Mrs. Peters. The usual?" Glenda & I eat pizza once a week at work and they know us well. It may help that we tip these folks well for bringing our lunch to us. That first bite of a deep dish double pepperoni pizza makes everything better. Talk about comfort food.}

Today will be much the same as yesterday, sans pizza. Some self-examination of my feelings, words and actions over the last few weeks may warrant a trip to the doctor. Or maybe I should just cut myself some slack, do the very best job possible at work and let the rest go. I certainly don't want to start taking anti-depressants again. They are a wonderful thing when prescribed appropriately, but they make me extremely hungry and the weight starts piling on. I'll probably just start using some of the vacation/sick time I've accumulated and see if that helps first. And there'll be a lot more prayer time. Jesus is still the answer.

No comments: