Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Lamp Unto My Feet

Our Sunday school lesson tomorrow deals with the importance of God's Word in our lives and to our lives. Several years ago some of us were asked to give a testimony at Thanksgiving service of what we were thankful for. I'm thankful for God's word in printed form.

What if I lived in a time before Christians had access to the Bible? Would it be less important to me? more? I can only say that I love the Scriptures. There's nothing magical about leather, paper and ink, but because His word is alive and active it sometimes literally jumps up off the page. There have been times when it pierced me to the bone with conviction of sin. Other times it has reached up to wrap me in the comfort of its truth.

And it has the power to make me laugh. I smile when I read in Numbers 22:28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?" It doesn't surprise me at all that God can make a donkey talk. But I have to laugh out loud when I read in verse 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey...

The importance of God's written word is found in the very first phrase of the first chapter of the first book - Genesis. "In the beginning, God..." Every word, every phrase, is filled with love. He teaches us, He reproves us, He corrects us, He trains us (2Tim 3:16) for His purposes. As Rick Warren says, "It's not about you." It's about God; it's about His work for His glory.

Jesus says in John 14:26, "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. If we spend time in His Word He will press it deep within us to be our guide, our light. David said that God's word was a lamp to his feet, a light to his path. (Ps 119:105) And he said in 119:11 that he had hidden God's word in his heart so he wouldn't sin against Him.

God has given us a great gift - His word. It is our instruction book; it holds the keys to our spiritual, emotional, mental and physical well-being. It is God-breathed, infallible truth. And this world needs that truth.

Heavenly Father, thank You so much for Your word. And thank You for Your Word, who became flesh and dwelt among us. Your grace, mercy, forgiveness and love are beyond my comprehension. Press Your word deep within me as a treasure to be used for Your glory and honor. Amen

No comments: