Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, Katey!!

There was an ice storm in January 1973. I remember this because Dr. Walter Bourland called me and told me not to step foot outside my door. Good advice considering I was 9 months pregnant. The storm came and went, but still no baby. I use the generic term "baby" becuase in those days doctor's didn't order sonograms to determine the sex of the child. (Gee, Katey, that makes you sound old!) I also remember - and this is rich if you know anything about Katey's life today - that on January 11th (my due date) I went to an evening women's event at Parkway Baptist Church. (Katey has been going to Parkway for 16 years and is Children/Education Minister.) Someone at the event asked me when I was due and when I said, "Today!" they wanted to know why I wasn't parked at the hospital.

But it would be another 8 days before Terry & I made that trek and 9 before she would be born. On January 19th at my regular doctor visit Dr. Bourland said as I walked out the door, "I'll see you tonight." Too naive to panic, I went home, washed my hair, took a bath and waited...and waited...and waited. Terry came home from work and we went about our normal routine. Of course, by this time I was having contractions, but it didn't seem so bad; and besides, Terry wanted to watch Johnny Carson. As The Tonight Show was going off we were headed to the car because these mild sensations were a lot closer together.

Let me apologize publicly to that nurse - the one that I back-handed when she tried to put a needle in me. Too bad she was between the bed and the wall because that made her a fairly easy target. Yes, she got her revenge; the needle went in. And I was out like a light and remember nothing about the birth of our first daughter at 4:16am on January 20, 1973.

But I remember a lot that's happened since. She's a grown woman now with children of her own. What a joy and a blessing she has been and is. I love you, Kitty-Kat.

No comments: