Saturday, April 9, 2011

Our Molly

Easter Sunday, April 11, 1977, was High Attendance Day at our church. Druther David told me that being due to deliver a baby at any moment was no excuse for missing church; he'd have an ambulance waiting outside at noon on Sunday just in case I went into labor. The best laid plans... Molly had other plans and those included being born on Good Friday! Wanda, Druther David's wife, came to visit while I was in labor. I don't remember this, but she told me later that I looked at her with tears in my eyes and said, "I'm going to miss High Attendance Day." Dr. Bourland was there at the beginning, but he went off duty and when Dr. Sanders came on my mama said, "Surely that young boy isn't going to deliver my grandbaby!" Dr. John asked Dr. Brouland if he should give me an epidural (sp?) and Dr. Bourland said, "Son, you won't have time; you'd better get in there right now." (I'm one of those blessed women for whom 4 hours of labor was a long time.) I don't remember much else except that I was in a semi-private room with a woman who smoked. (Shouldn't they have already known that smoking is bad for everyone, especially newborns.) Maybe this is the reason Molly was plagued by allergies the first 3 years of her life. The allergies were bad enough that Dr. Hilbun sent us to LeBonheur for allergy tests and Molly had shots for several times a week for a few years. It always surprised Nurse Delores that an 18 month old toddler would want to give her hugs and kisses right after she had given that same toddler an allergy shot. All grown up now, Molly teaches 6th grade math and scored 5th out of 54 sixth grade teachers in her county in a composit teachers' evaluation in her county. She would tell you that she doesn't know if she has any impact on her students. (6th graders = raging hormones) But her 6th grade principal and her Middle School principal would tell you differently. The kids learn more than math from her and all those other values stick, too. She'll be here in a little while and we'll go to breakfast and spend a little time together on this, her 34th birthday. Happy Birthday, Molly! Blessings all day long!!

No comments: